IMPORTANT TIPS BEFORE STARTING:
1. It's best to use a kitchen scale whenever possible. If you don't yet own a scale, these recipes are based upon 'lightly packed' measuring cups, so whether you use the 'dip and sweep' method of measuring or the 'spooning into the cup' method, always gently press down on the mix in the measuring cup and add more to fill the cup, as necessary.
2. Ovens vary, so bake times may need to be adjusted.
2 C MULTI-USE PIZZA & WRAP MIX (250g)
1 C Water (240g)
2 T Melted Butter (30g)
Makes 12 Taco-size Tortillas
or about 96 Tortilla Chips
TIP: Parchment paper (cut to size) works best here for rolling/pressing the tortillas, and for baking them.
1. Preheat oven to 325° F.
2. In a medium-size bowl, combine all ingredients until a soft dough forms.
3. Remove 2 T of dough at a time and roll into balls.
4. Use a tortilla press (or rolling pin) and two sheets of parchment paper to press into round tortillas (press thin, as it will thicken slightly while cooking).
To Cook: Place 6 tortillas on a lined sheet pan and bake for 6-8 minutes until centers are firm like the edges. You can also use your microwave but the oven produces the most even baking results. To Microwave: 1 tortilla at a time flipping halfway through until the center is firm and cooked through. The length of time will depend on the wattage of your microwave, generally 30-60 seconds. The tortillas can also be cooked in a very lightly greased skillet 1-2 minutes per side.
To fry the cooked tortillas use very hot oil and make sure the centers are cooked through first or the edges may start to burn before the centers brown.
FOR TORTILLA CHIPS
Follow the steps to make the tortillas. After baking, cool and stack them. Use a large knife to cut a stack of them into 8 sections like you would cut a pie. Scatter them back on your baking sheet and bake until very firm and beginning to brown (about another 6-8 minutes). If you don't want to fry them, bake a little longer until crisp all the way through. To Fry: Cool, then fry quickly in small batches in very hot oil until crispy (10 seconds per side). Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with sea salt.