6 cups torn or cubed Grain Free Planet Sandwich and/or Sourdough Bread
1 small onion
2 stalks celery
2 large carrots
1 teaspoon each dried parsley and sage (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 T butter
About 2-4 cups broth (veggie, chicken or bone) or more as needed.
1/4 cup cream
Variations: Stir in 1/3 cup raisins, dried cranberries, dried and chopped apricots and/or pecans or cooked mushrooms or sausage. Add other seasonings such as rosemary and/or thyme, if desired.
NOTE: Use our already baked loaves or make your own with our Multi-Use Bread or Sourdough Mix.
Let the slices set out on a rack for a few hours to dry and become a bit 'stale'. You can remove the crusts if you want to but we think it's more rustic looking with the crusts left on.
1. Pre-heat oven to 350° and butter a large casserole dish.
3. Roughly chop the veggies and saute in butter a few minutes.
4. Add seasonings and 1 cup of broth to the vegetables, cover and simmer until tender.
5. Tear the bread into pieces and add to a large bowl.
6. Drizzle and toss the bread with the vegetables and broth, adding more as necessary until all the bread has all been dampened. Let it rest in between adding broth so the bread can absorb the liquids.
7. In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the eggs and cream, pour over the stuffing and toss to coat.
8. Transfer to your casserole dish and bake about 35-45 minutes until the top is brown and crunchy.
Makes about 12 servings